Re: Cirrus Logic pd6729 & 2.6 kernel

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.... when did you post to debian.laptops? I read it quite religiously and didn't see your post....

After my original post I did some additional trolling around the linux-pcmcia list archives and came away with the distinct impression (perhaps incorrect) that 2.6.8 did not contain full support for the pd6729 and that there were some patches trying to find there way in. So, I went back to my old Knoppix kernel and coaxed it into giving me a network connection long enough to download the latest Sarge 2.4.x and am now running fine with that. Took me a quite a while to wring out all the issues that followed from trying to eradicate Knoppix, though. I won't lightly install from Knoppix again.

Since this is a Pentium One I am not currently planning on rolling any home-made kernels, so if that is what it takes I will probably just stick with 2.4 for now on this machine and try my luck with 2.6 on my Pentium III. If you do find the solution, let me know though, I might run with it..... :-)

Thanks for the PLIP information, I might set that up just for the heck of it, also since I am going to try and set up this Pentium One as a router it might free up one of my PCMCIA slots. (I have been looking for PCMCIA cards with multiple ethernet ports, and they seem not to exist.)

Thanks again,
Clayton

--
John G. Heim