Re: Mepis & Ubuntu on Compaq Armadas

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 05:51:10AM -0600, RRPotratz wrote:
> >>I posed my 2.4.x eraser head problem on a Mepis forum and the only
> >>response I got was "don't use 2.4.x, use 2.6.x".
> >>

> You are correct.  The eraser head does *not* work with 2.4.x in Mepis.
> As I was thinking this through, the reason I started using an external
> usb mouse was because under 2.6.x (in which the earaser head worked
> fine) I could not access my usb thumbdrives!  I would get errors at
> startup wondering if the cable was connected no matter if there was
> anything there or not.   Using 2.4.x I was able to access my thumb
> drives, and navigate using the usb mouse.
>
> While this is an irritation, the work around for me works fine.  My
> larger question is, if usb on Armada 7400 hardware is broke for 2.6.x,
> will I have an upgrade path in the future to later 2.6.x, or are there
> settings to correct this problem now?

Well, its GOTTA be something simple, since, in general, 2.4.x kernels
DO work on 7400s.  I haven't tried it, but I suspect that dropping a
Debian packaged kernel (one-size-fits-all) in a Ubuntu/Mepis system
would work.

Thanks for pointing out the USB problem; I seem to have it on
7400/Ubuntu/2.6.x.  I had noticed that my USB camera did not work as
expected.  Closer inspection with "watch tail /var/log/syslog" reveals
that the camera is not being properly detected.  I have tested USB NICs
and attributed the failures to device incompatibility.  I do use the USB
(still, not video) camera on 7400/Libranet/2.4.28.  I may try testing a
Debian 2.6 kernel if I find time.

I've (at least temporarily) put aside get-ALSA-to-work on a
7400/Ubuntu.

My current project is getting CUPS printing to work remotely from a
Ubuntu.  I have a Libranet CUPS server that works fine with Libranet
CUPS clients.  With a Ubuntu client, it "sees" the network printer, but
does not actually print; print jobs accumulate in the Ubuntu client's
spool.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die