ALSA on Compaq Armada 7400

For years, I have been trying to get sound working on Compaq Armadas:
73xx, 78xx, 7400, & 7800.  Thanks to some help I got here months ago, I
got it going without ALSA; I guess that's OSS.  I've tried to start
using ALSA and now I've gotten sound broken again.  This is on a 7400
running Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.  I think it is a problem of just not
knowing how to configure ALSA.  Before ALSA, "sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1"
in /etc/modules gave me working sound.  With ALSA,
snd-es18xx irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1
and
snd-sb16 irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1
result in "failure to detect" at boot.

If someone has ALSA working on a similair Armada, please tell me how
you have it configured.

--
Willie, ONWARD!  Through the fog!
Good Health: the slowest way to die