Re: Mebius MP 50G black screen on X

On Friday 30 December 2005 13:10, Charles Muller wrote:
> David Goodenough wrote:
> > On Friday 30 December 2005 10:29, Charles Muller wrote:
> >>After having run my Sharp Mebius MP 50G successfully for a while with
> >>Woody, and then Sarge, I recently installed Etch Beta 1, but  can't
> >>get X working. When I try to startx, it doesn't bounce back out, but
> >>just goes into a black screen, after which I can't shut X down with my
> >>keyboard.
> >>
>     > Why not start up Knoppix, copy the X configuration to the hard disk,
>     > reboot with Debian and copy the X configuration file into /etc/X11.
>     > It may require a bit of tweeking, but it should have the right
>     > settings for the resolution etc in it.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. I gave this a shot, but since Knoppix 4.0
> is still using XFree86 and Debian/Etch is using xserver.xorg, the
> structure of the entries in the configuration files is different. I
> tried pasting some of the extra stuff provided by Knoppix into the
> xorg.conf file but it just crashes.

The format may be wrong, but that is fixable.  Somewhere in the X.org
package there is the function to migrate from XFree86.  I have no idea
what the script might be, but I am sure I remember being asked if I
wanted to upgrade my old configuration when I upgraded.  So maybe
if you remove the x.org version, put the XFree86 config file in the right
place (the one you got from Knoppix) and then install it might do it for
you.

David