Re: Mebius MP 50G black screen on X

David Goodenough wrote:

On Friday 30 December 2005 10:29, Charles Muller wrote:

After having run my Sharp Mebius MP 50G successfully for a while with
Woody, and then Sarge, I recently installed Etch Beta 1, but  can't
get X working. When I try to startx, it doesn't bounce back out, but
just goes into a black screen, after which I can't shut X down with my
keyboard.

   > Why not start up Knoppix, copy the X configuration to the hard disk,
   > reboot with Debian and copy the X configuration file into /etc/X11.
   > It may require a bit of tweeking, but it should have the right
   > settings for the resolution etc in it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave this a shot, but since Knoppix 4.0 is still using XFree86 and Debian/Etch is using xserver.xorg, the structure of the entries in the configuration files is different. I tried pasting some of the extra stuff provided by Knoppix into the xorg.conf file but it just crashes.

Does anyone happen to know if Mepis is using xserver.xorg? I tried (K)ubuntu, and it sets up into the same problematic situation as Debian.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities