Mebius MP 50G black screen on X

After having run my Sharp Mebius MP 50G successfully for a while with Woody, and then Sarge, I recently installed Etch Beta 1, but can't get X working. When I try to startx, it doesn't bounce back out, but just goes into a black screen, after which I can't shut X down with my keyboard.

The default install seems to be xserver-xorg, and so I ran through

     dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

a couple of times, trying different screen resolutions, turning frame buffering on and off, but with no changes in the results.

The graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, which is recognized when installing x-windows.

I upgraded to unstable, and retried everything, but the results were the same.

I can get it working with Knoppix (and I suppose I can revert to my old Sarge installation if necessary), but I'd prefer to run a straight Debian system with Etch, and if possible, Sid.

Any suggestions?

Chuck

---------------------------
Charles Muller