Re: Compaq Presario 1255 sound and touchpad under Debian?

Hello

--> From: Adrien Caillot [mailto:yokaunix@free.fr]
--> Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:05 AM
--> Windows said it was an "ESS Audiodrive 1869".
--> --> It works with my 2.4.27 kernel with the "sb" module :
--> modprobe sb irq=5

okay - seems like great information - but how do I use that to get my sound to work?

#modprobe sb irq=5

#dmesg

last few lines returned are
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
ESS chip ES1869 detected
#

Got a .wav file to play!
Good ! :-)

But the volume control in the GUI stays stuck and returns to zero by itself - and there is no sound from web pages in Firefox. Will try again tomarrow.
On this machine, I tried to edit /etc/modules but I didn't manage to get it to work. So I added "modprobe sb irq=5" in "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh". But I think it's a very bad way to do that. Try with modconf : find the sb module, select it and when it asks for a parameter, you answer "irq=5". I think this will work and you will have sound in all your applications (but maybe you will have to run alsaconf and configure the sound in your desktop manager).

--> For the touchpad, I just said to Xfree that it was a PS/2 mouse and it --> works well.

I think maybe I'm being to optimistic. I have a USB mouse plugged in and was expecting both the touchpad and that to both work at the same time. Should the USB mouse be hot swappable? The touchpad and the USB mouse both work but mutually exclusive?
On my other laptop, I have a touchpad and I had tried to plug an USB mouse. Both worked well at the same time. I think the touchpad is recognized by this section :

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

and the USB mouse is recognized by this section :
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
	Option		"Buttons"		"5"
EndSection

I didn't try with the Compaq but I think it should work too.

Thanks!
- Zake

--
Adrien