Re: Compaq Presario 1255 sound and touchpad under Debian?

Hi,

> --> > --> > Firefox seems to handle flash better than Modzilla does - can I apt-get
> --> > --> > remove "Modzilla Web Browser" and "Modzilla Composer" now?
> --> > --> sure you can.
> --> > Thanks - after I posted I figured the tools would tell me if
> --> > these were depended upon by other modules - I'll give this a try later.
> --> > apt-get remove <package>
> Couldn't figure out what to remove - seemed like anything I found and choose had dependencies that would remove core things that Firefox uses. Maybe I just need to remove the aliases to the Modzilla Web Browser... Are there specific packages to remove?

apt-get remove mozilla-browser

> --> > --> please post the output of
> --> > --> lspci
> --> There is no soundcard listet here. So your card is a non PCI,
> --> which means in
> --> this case it is an ISA card. So you have to try..
> --> in the dir /lib/modules/<kernek version>/kernel/sound/isa/
> --> should be some modules..
>
> Don't have the sound directory, just
> /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel

ah ok, in 2.4 everything is a bit different..

apt-get install alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 alsa-utils

then with alsaconf you should by able to configure the card.

> --> you can load them using modprobe, and with dmesg you can
> --> From: Adrien Caillot [mailto:yokaunix@free.fr]
> --> Sent: Monday, December 05, 2005 6:05 AM
> --> Windows said it was an "ESS Audiodrive 1869".
> -->
> --> It works with my 2.4.27 kernel with the "sb" module :
> --> modprobe sb irq=5
>
> okay - seems like great information - but how do I use that to get my sound to work?
> #modprobe sb irq=5
> #dmesg
> last few lines returned are
> isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> isapnp: No Plug & Play device found
> Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
> sb: No ISAPnP cards found, trying standard ones...
> SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
> ESS chip ES1869 detected

This is the OSS module, you can use it, but its obsolete.

> #
> Got a .wav file to play! But the volume control in the GUI stays stuck and returns to zero by itself - and there is no sound from web pages in Firefox. Will try again tomarrow.

which GUI? kde/gnome/window-maker/...

> --> For the touchpad, I just said to Xfree that it was a PS/2 mouse and it
> --> works well.
>
> I think maybe I'm being to optimistic. I have a USB mouse plugged in and was expecting both the touchpad and that to both work at the same time. Should the USB mouse be hot swappable? The touchpad and the USB mouse both work but mutually exclusive?

make sure you use /dev/input/mice as input device then hotplug an external
mouse should be no problem.

--
Florian Reitmeir