Re: stereo component from laptop?

On 12/1/05, Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@mailshack.com> wrote:
> d@jerkface.net wrote:

[...]
> >and see if you get a partition table.  If you do, then the above
> >diagnosis is correct.  In that case, here's a dirty little perl snippet
> >I have used to mount the first partition in a disk image.  You will have
> >to modify it if you want to specify a different partition.
> >

> ooh thankyou! I knew there must have been a way of doing it! you have
> saved me a lot of hassle (e.g. having to manage multiple images for
> people). I was worrying about that. I found this so useful I think ill
> print it and stick it on my wall...
>
> (for those that are interested) And the image file I provided has its
> root fs on the first partition, so no modification of this script whould
> be needed in order to mount it.

wow, that was way cool.  thanks, d.  Ognjen, this is a sweet little
setup.  I will probably give something less compact a whirl first, as
I have way more machine at my disposal than this requires -- but it's
incredible how tiny you've made this, I'm very impressed and I have a
strong urge to drop what I'm doing & start fooling around with the
TRULY ancient laptops I have lying around (one 286...).

meanwhile, re qemu:

yes, this is an emulator; it's fairly unbelievably cool.  To try it
out, you can just apt-get install qemu; but it works much better with
the third-party kernel module enabled; to use this you have to
uninstall the debian qemu package, then download the source for qemu
and kqemu (the kernel bits), and make your own package.  I forget
exactly how I did that, but I think I followed instructions off of the
qemu website and then installed the resultant package using
checkinstall (so that it is still registered in the packaging system).
 I recommend it VERY strongly.  If nothing else it's good forthat last
little bit of windows garbage that you are stuck with because of work
or something.

Matt