Re: stereo component from laptop?

Matt Price wrote:

On 11/30/05, Ognjen Bezanov <ognjen@mailshack.com> wrote:
Heh, I'm in the process of a OSS project to build a standalone
mp3/AAC/mp4/ogg/CD-Audio player, and its coming along nicely (well, it
plays music - just need to sort out the LCD display + keypad, and I have
not had much time to work on it lately).

But that isn't done yet, so I can't recommend you use it just yet ;-)

Currently (until the project is finished) what I did was to build an
embedded system using the ESounD Daemon.

Basically its an old 75Mhz laptop, with 8 mb ram, a pcmcia wifi card
(atheros chipset) and a 16 bit soundcard. The custom distro initialises
the sound and wifi card, connects to my wireless network
and sets up a sound server. I can connect to it from any PC on the
network and stream it music. This way me (and the rest of my family) can
use their own computers (and the players they know) and stream music to
the server, which is permanently connected to the HI-FI.

huh, this is very interesting.  I would love to get the .img file --
not exactly sure what a .img file is, but I have used files with this
extension to start up qemu so I assumethis is some kind of disk
image...  At the least itwould be something to referto as Im building
this up.

the .img is essentially a disk image, you can read from a disk to a .img file:

dd if=/dev/hdx of=/path/to/file.img

or vice-versa:

dd if=/path/to/file.img

Also in linux you can mount the file and use it as you would a normal disk:

mount -t [filesystem] /path/to/file.img /mount/point -o loop

and you can use just about any filesystem on it (e.g FAT, ext, reiser, swap, jfs etc...)

mkfs.ext2 /path/to/file.img

and they are also used for filesystem encryption.

The laptop I m looking at is considerably more powerful & the system I
was thinking of is somewhat less ambitious -- the streaming probably
isnt so important, though it would be lots of fun to implement.  But
Id like very much to seewhat youve done!

ok, you can find it here: http://88.144.22.90/~ognen/soundserver.img
(note link is not permanent, size 16MB).

Burn it to your disk using the dd command (dd if=./soundserver.img of=/path/to/disk)

Then you should be able to mount the rootfs and edit the config file (which is /etc/init.d/S01).

this is a shell script, and you can probably see some standard commands on it.

Note that while this system works - it needs a little cleaning in order to be more efficient (and needs a better init script). Also note that the image is currently configured to use a wired interface, you need to uncomment the line required to set the wireless card.

Oh, and the distro fits on a 16mb CF card (it can fit in less, i'm
saying about 4 meg, but I dont have a smaller CF card).

If you want I can send you the .img file for my sound server (but just
to tell you, some work will be required for configuration, probably
changing the ESSID/IP Addr of the network, and possibly a kernel
recompile for your wifi-card).

shouldnt be so hard, from the sound of it.

If on the other hand, you want to use a standard distro, have a look at
the ESD webpage
(http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html). It hasn't been updated in a
while, but the program has so far worked flawlessly.  Just install that
on your base distro and configure it - you will need a client-side
plugin for it though, Most linux audio software supports it (i know
there is a plugin for xmms) and i believe (but cannot confirm) that
there exists a winamp plugin for it as well.

I think I wiill veyr likely use esd, thanks!

Hope this reply was of any use :-)

very interesting in any case!

matt

Oh, and feel free to contact me if you need help! :)