Re: wireless configuration

On 11/18/05, Martin Hauser <mh@alla.franken.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> > I have installed Debian 3.0 on my Dell Inspiron 1200. Everything is
> > working fine except I could not the wireless card. I have installed
> > orinoco_cs and done:
> > apt-get --purge remove pcmcia-cs
> > apt-get install pcmcia-cs
> >
> hmm, you have the orinoco kernel driver loaded? And the pcmcia kernel
> stuff as well?
> > but whenever I insert the WLAN card(Dell 1350 WLAN 802.11b/g), its
> > giving the error:
> > hw_random: cannot enable RNG, aborting
> >
> that is completely unrelated as far as i am informed. hw_random is the
> hardware random number generator which some systems have. The most
> systems however don't have it but hotplug tries to load it. Why it
> tries to load hw_random on inserting a wireless card into your notebook
> is however a bit of a riddle to me.
> Hope that helped
> Greets
> Martin
> --
> Martin Hauser <mh@alla.franken.de>
> GPG-Encrypted mail preferred, KEY: 0D459A72

Thanks for the help. I installed ndiswrapper to run the XP driver
provided by Dell. Then, after doing :
modprobe ndiswrapper
it detected the wireless card and now I can use the internet with it.
However, the problem with hw_random still exists. Especially, it is
modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting hw_random
(/lib/modules/ No such
while booting.
So I added the line
to /etc/hotplug/blacklist
I tried to install the driver hw_random using modconf, but it gave the error
Cannot enable RNG.

Anandam Banerjee
Dept of Mathematics
567 Lake Hall,