Re: pcmcia + acpi + suspend2 seems impossible...

Morning,

> in an ideal world I would like a kernel that does these things:
>
> - loads and unloads my pcmcia NIC/wlan cards flawlessly
> - suspends to disk without any issues
> - lets me use and program all the special laptop keys on my keyboard
> (sleep, screen, volume controls, and ESPECIALLY poweroff/lid events)

as far as i know the three of them should be possible to be brought
working, but i'm using a different thinkpad (r40 here) and so i don't
know. But i'm actually using pcmcia/acpi/suspend2. Though i always had
a few issues with pcmcia at times but this was rarely (about every two
weeks)

> Since I'm using an ibm600e, for these I need pcmcia + cardbus support,
> acpi, and the suspend2 patch, all in a recent kernel with the most
> current version of the ibm-acpi module.

Hmm, well. I think 2.6.14 should do it for you.

> So far I haven't been able to get all three of these together in one
> kernel.  Suspend2 doesn't appear to be a problem -- though after I
> apply the suspend2 patch I generally have to uncheck a bunch of
> extraneous module options in menuconfig.  Suspend2 + pcmcia almost
> works for me; currently my main problem is that, *SOMETIMES*, after
> suspension, I get this:
>
> kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for eth0 to become free.  Usage
> count = 5
>
> after which eth0 (a pcmcia NIC) is dead till reboot, and in fact even
> rebooting is blocked by this persistent message, which fills up my
> kernel log at intervals of 1 to 15 seconds.

Hmm, interesting. Probably you should get your 'hibernate' script to
forcefully unload the pcmcia modules and the cardbus modules + probably
hack it so it does and /etc/init.d/pcmcia stop before it goes to sleep.
That way it'd probably be working back once you're resumed. You then
just push back in the modules, restart pcmcia and there you go. If you
need detailed instructions on how to do that, let me know.

> I have googled on this and apparently it's some kind of kernel bug --
> or at least, it is an error reminiscent of bugs filed against earlier
> kernel verisons, 2.6.0, 2.6.10, and others.  Kernel bugs are rather
> beyond my competence, so I've just decided to live with this for now,
> because I need the recent kernel version (2.6.14 or better) for my
> ibm-acpi...

Hmm, never heard of that kernel bug, sorry.

> [...]

> Thanks much as always!

Hope it helped.

Martin Hauser
--
Martin Hauser <mh@alla.franken.de>
GPG-Encrypted mail preferred, KEY: 0D459A72