Re: [debian] Re: whereami, hibernate & ifconfig

Tony Godshall wrote:

> So, anyhow, the moral of the story is this:
>
> Don't be too quick to blame software.

I'm not quite sure where that moral was to be found :-)  After all, we've
already agreed that there's a basic problem with the b44 - whether it's the
driver software or the hardware is hard to say - but it's how the software
deals with that that's causing my issues.

> PS: I used to use whereami too, but went back to a
> config based on /network/interfaces and a little custom
> mapping script.  which, by the way, let me put a timeout
> for the b44 to settle down.  And it's based on
> iputils-arping, which is lightning fast when it detects...
>
>   arping -D -f -c4 -w5 -I$iface $ip
>
> ...and works without coming up on the network with an ip
> address (i.e. it's less disruptive).

There's an arping test in Whereami, too, which I primarily use for exactly
that reason.
--
derek