Re: Can't boot 2.6.?? kernels - Acer TravelMate 4651LMi

Frans Pop said...
> On Tuesday 27 September 2005 20:35, marc wrote:
> > # /sbin/init: 432: cannot open dev/console: No such file
> > # Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init!
>
> This can mean 2 things:
> - the drivers needed for your disk controller are not available; if your
>   laptop has SATA, this is pretty likely for 2.6.8 and less so for 2.6.12
> - your bootloader config and /etc/fstab refer to /dev/hda (for the 2.4
>   kernel), but the SATA driver in the 2.6 kernel uses /dev/sda
>
> You can check this by carefully reading the messages on console during
> boot (use shift-pageup to scroll back up).

Okay, after a week of intense learning, experimentation, and much
rebooting. I understand a lot more and realise that I should have
pursued the first piece of advice I was given :-o If only I'd known then
what I know now! Nevertheless, lots of very useful knowledge has been
gained.

This morning I abandoned 2.6.8 for 2.6.12 (standard deb), changed the
grub line to point to /dev/sda3 rather than /dev/hdc3, added pci=noacpi
and the machine booted.

Two notes for the archive:
- the hard disk now works at full speed (presumably the slow disk I was
experiencing in 2.4.? and still experience in Knoppix is related to DMA)
- the pci=noacpi is better then acpi=off, since the latter disables the
wireless card. (Actually, it disables the hardware switch, which results
in being unable to turn the wireless card on.)

My next question involves the fact that lots of stuff that I had setup
in 2.4.?? points to /dev/hdc3. Fixing these manually is no problem when
they appear, but what system level things should I change?

--
Best,
Marc