TuxMobil News 09/2005

    Hello,

    the "TuxMobil News Digest" for September 2005[1] has good news
    for Linux PDA, mobile phone, laptop and notebook users. Here is an
    extract of the most important or most interesting  messages.
    If you are missing news, applications or documents, don't
    hesitate to contact me.

    Please support our work by submitting news and Linux reports about
    laptops, notebooks, PDAs, mobile phones and portable media players.

    Werner Heuser

|=| Monthly Highlights

|=| DELL Laptops and Mandriva Linux?

    Mandriva has announced "DELL Releases its First Linux Consumer
    Product with Mandriva"[1], the DELL Latitude 110L will be
    available with Mandriva pre-loaded. This press release is not
    online anymore! A posting a InfoWorld[2] describes some more background
    "This is really nothing new. Dell installs any distro or software that a
    customer requires through our CFI (Custom Factory Integration) program.  This
    is usually for larger customers with very specific needs rather than your
    typical consumer.  In this case, Dell won a bid with the French Ministry of
    Education.  Based on the needs of the end-user, Dell opted to leverage its CFI
    capabilities to offer French students the 'n-series' Latitude 110L notebook
    with Mandriva Linux pre-installed.  [So] the Latitude 110Ln with the Mandriva
    OS is limited to a French Ministry of Education program available only to
    students.  When Mandriva saw this they quickly put out a press release without
    Dell's authorization or knowledge which made it appear as if Dell was
    pre-installing their OS on Dell systems [in general] rather than the more
    accurate CFI story." LinuxToday[3] asked the DELL CEO: "Now that a
    laptop with pre-installed Mandrake Linux is available in France, will
    DELL follow up with Linux laptops in the US or other nations?" The
    CEO Michael Dell denied this because "distributions of Linux are
    too "alienated", from each other to make that work".

    [1] http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr?n=/pr/corporate/2564
    [2] http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2005/09/dell_and_mandri.html
    [3] http://linuxtoday.com/it_management/2005093001826NWHWSW

|=| Complete Monthly Digest

    [1] http://tuxmobil.org/mobile_news_2005_09.html

|=| Daily RSS, Archive, Submission Form, Subscription

    You may find the _daily_ TuxMobil News RSS/XML channel, the archiv and
    a news submission form at http://tuxmobil.org/newsfeed.html

    BTW: You may subscribe to the complete _monthly_ digest there, too.

--
|=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
|=| <wehe at tuxmobil.org>     T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86