Re: cpufreq question

On Mon, October 3, 2005 10:21 am, Arne Lange said:
> Mattia Dongili schrieb:
>> Well, let me rephrase it: you may really want to make the much more
>> useful acpi-cpufreq/speedstep-centrino/speedstep-ich drivers work on
>> your system instead of p4_clockmod.
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> I now use the speedstep-centrino and everything works fine with and
> without ac.
>
> Just in case: Do you know a good link to a description of these drivers?

http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/cpu-freq/ and the help of the
kernel configuration is the best I can think of.
Anyway throttling v/s scaling has been beaten to death in various ML, if
only I could find where :)

Basically throttling simply inserts more HLT instructions (depending on
the mentioned divisor) making you CPU idle for longer periods even if
actully busy, while scaling effectively reduces the power drain of the CPU
(and its clock acordingly) with much more sophisticated hardware.

Here's another doc:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

and one of the most complete:
http://www.free-it.de/archiv/talks_2005/paper-11017/paper-11017.html