Re: dpkg database rebuild

2) I doubt if LVM and VG creation happens without the OS on the HDD. The
metadata is stored on the partition table or is part of the OS ? Can
someone who has experience with LVM confirm this ?
If it was plain HDD to HDD migration, it would have been very trivial.

This souldn't be a problem.  I installed two different distributions on one lvm VG.  However, after you copy back the data, you will need to recreate your initrd file because it needs to discover the lvm setup, and correctly set it up.  Also you fstab file needs updating.  But don't but /boot on lvm.  (Make a new partition if required.  Then your all set.