Re: dpkg database rebuild

"Derek Broughton" <news@pointerstop.ca> writes:
> Brian Kimball wrote:
>> Yes, and you don't have to rebuild anything.  Forget all that discussion
>> about dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections.  Totally unnecessary.
> It _is_ totally unnecessary if he just has a single file system.  What
> happens if he has separate /, /usr, and /var systems?  The dpkg database is
> on /var.   The expanded files are on / & /usr.  Don't even think about
> copying just a single one.   It's much safer to reinstall everything.

No, it's dead easy. I've migrated installs to a completely different
partition scheme on new hardware using this method, and it's so much
simpler than a reinstall.

You /do/ want to use a boot disk (your Debian boot CD is fine),
though.

Mount all your existing partitions in their correct places under one
root, and then do the same with your destination partitions.

cp -a

Have a coffee.

Fiddle grub and fstab on the new filesystem.

???

Profit!

	Iain.