Re: dpkg database rebuild

Brian Kimball wrote:

> Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
>
>> If I copy the whole filesystem to another hard drive and rebuild the
>> dpkg database, will it work ? Will dpkg be able to understand all the
>> packages installed ?
>
> Yes, and you don't have to rebuild anything.  Forget all that discussion
> about dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections.  Totally unnecessary.

It _is_ totally unnecessary if he just has a single file system.  What
happens if he has separate /, /usr, and /var systems?  The dpkg database is
on /var.   The expanded files are on / & /usr.  Don't even think about
copying just a single one.   It's much safer to reinstall everything.

> I would recommend booting into knoppix or a rescue disc so you're not
> trying to copy a live system.

Absolutely vital if you're going to do it your way.
--
derek