Re: b44 - broadcom's curse

Tim Sailer wrote:

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:52:05AM +0200, john wrote:
hi!
i have an acer travelmate 4001lmi, and an integrated broadcom bcm4400 ethernet card. i'm using the kernel's built-in b44 driver since broadcom's driver's code isn't gcc 4.0 compatible. my problem is, that when i try to connect to a network my card does send (and I'm not shure about receiving) receives packages, but doesn't connect. i have to reload the module: sometimes even several, sometimes many many times to make it work. am i I the only one with this problem? is this a bug? I'm using kernel 2.6.12-5.

I have the same problem. I have gotten around this by having a pre-up
stanza in the eth0 portion of interfaces: (from memory)

pre-up rmmod b44; modprobe b44; rmmod b44; modprobe b44

I find that if you don't try to set up eth0 before you remove and reinsert
the modules, it all works well. remember to ifdown the interface before you
rmmod b44.

Tim

Speaking of b44 -- anyone here using ifplugd with a b44? I've noticed that the standard debian startup scripts hang the machine for about 20-30 seconds when ifplugd starts waiting for some kind of response from the b44 driver... then ifplugd gives up and moves on. This only happens if
nothing is plugged into the ethernet port.

Nate