Re: shutdown problem

>> It's _a_ place to look, but sounds to me like he simply never completed
>> shutdown.
>>
>> What filesystems are you running?  I hope they're journalling systems
>> like
>> reiser or ext3.  Does it run the journals when you reboot?  The first
>> place
>> to look is at the last thing that showed in syslog.
>
> I had the same problem on my Thinkpad R51. The simple solution is NOT to
> use the default kernel. On any of the different, but more recent
> self-compiled kernels I tried, the problem disappeared. Seems to be a
> bug in the Bios or in the kernel source or in the packaging of 2.6.8 in
> debian.
>
> Johannes

Hi,

I've read the APIC kernel option (not ACPI) for uni-processors is the
reason for the problem after I had experienced the same issue with a T41P.
Compile your own kernel with the CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC kernel options
disabled and you should be fine. (Look at
http://www.plope.com/Members/chrism/thinkpad_notes and search for
uniprocessor, that's the best hint I found for the problem.)

Have a great day,
André