b44 - broadcom's curse

hi!
i have an acer travelmate 4001lmi, and an integrated broadcom bcm4400 ethernet
card. i'm using the kernel's built-in b44 driver since broadcom's driver's
code isn't gcc 4.0 compatible. my problem is, that when i try to connect to a
network my card does send (and I'm not shure about receiving) receives
packages, but doesn't connect. i have to reload the module: sometimes even
several, sometimes many many times to make it work. am i I the only one with
this problem? is this a bug? I'm using kernel 2.6.12-5.
thx
jon