Re: Opinions of Sony Vaio VGN-A417S for Debian

http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Computers/Computers/Laptops/230213429/Product.aspx

> However, I can't find any evidence that a VGN-A417S is going to be easy
> to install Debian on!
>
> I have seen posts claiming "Sony make the least Linux-friendly" laptops
> and others where people couldn't get the install CD to recognise the
> harddisk in a similar Vaio model.
>
> Can anyone comment on this more specifically please? Or alternatively,
> is there an alternative to the Vaio VGN-A417S which would meet my
> requirements and work with Debian?
>
> As always, any comments are gratefully received.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> James.

I'll dispute the claim that "Sony make the least Linux-friendly laptops."  I
own a Sony vaio s360 and it works great.  In fact, almost everything worked
right out of the box.  However, it doesn't meet your 17" screen criterion.

Luca