Re: Netgear wg511, 2.6/Sarge - weird?

Rusty Carruth:
> eth1      NOT READY!  ESSID:off/any

This is bad. You can try do 'iwconfig mode monitor' or 'iwconfig mode
managed' and see whether the output still stays the same.

> During all the above the green light never let a peep of greenness out.

This is also bad. What does 'cardctl status' tell you?

> Now, do remember that I don't have an AP here - I'll have to go try the
> things that require an AP handy somewhere that has one.

That won't help you when the card doesn't even power on.

> one thing thats not very helpful (in addition to the fact that the vendors
> like to switch parts inside without ANY way for folks to tell!), is that
> the card itself has NO information about what's inside, and in fact
> doesn't even say where it was made!

Strange. I can't tell whether this is good or bad. I suspect the latter.

> Oh - Will asked what kernel I was running.  Its 2.6.8-2-686

Should be ok. It has all the necessary modules and as you have shown,
they are all correctly loaded.

In this bunker there are women and children. There are no weapons.
[Agree]   [Disagree]