Re: home WPA-secured network -- as simple as possible

Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> I have decided that I would like to switch home network (just our two
>> notebooks) to wireless and I would like to make it WPA-secured. Can
>> anybody suggest the most simple WPA configuration using wpasupplicant,
>> please?
>
> network={
> ssid="myssid"
> psk="really secure"
> }
>
> Use WPA-PSK, aka WPA-Personal, and set your widget to broadcast the
> SSID.  Bingo, as simple and secure as possible.

So, I have tried your advice, but without success (two computers did not
seem to see each other). After some digging into output of dmesg outputs on
both computer I found this.

The first computer uses internal Wi-Fi card (PCI ID 14e4:4318 (rev 02), aka
Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)) and when ndiswrapper is
used it gives this in dmesg:

ndiswrapper version 1.2 loaded (preempt=yes,smp=no)
ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,11/27/2004, 3.100.35.0) loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> Link [LNKD] -> GSI 5 (level, low) \
        -> IRQ 5
ndiswrapper: using irq 5
wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:90:4b:d7:ae:91 using driver \
        bcmwl5, configuration file 14E4:4318.5.conf
wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP, WPA with TKIP, WPA with AES/CCMP

The other computer has PCMCIA Orinoco card which identifies itself as:

orinoco 0.14alpha2 (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au>, \
        Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.14alpha2 (David Gibson <hermes@gibson.dropbear.id.au>, \
        Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>, et al)
eth1: Hardware identity 0001:0001:0004:0000
eth1: Station identity  001f:0001:0006:0010
eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.16
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:02:2D:28:D5:A2
eth1: Station name "HERMES I"
eth1: ready
eth1: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
eth1: New link status: Connected (0001)

There seem to be two problems with this setup:

1) Agere driver has to be downloaded and wpasupplicant recompiled
2) The only encryption mode supported by both cards seems to be WEP (and
even then I am not sure, whether my PCI Card supports 104 key). Is it
possible to use it in Ad-hoc mode? Is it possible to use it with
wpa_supplicant (README claims, that wpa_supplicant supports "key management
for CCMP, TKIP, WEP104, WEP40"; what's that)?

> Set wpa_supplicant to start at boot, tell it to use your wireless
> interface, and to wait until it is available, and it should just
> work(tm).

when trying wpa_supplicant on command line (i.e., in foreground), should I
ifup the interface or only after wpa_supplicant succeeds (which hasn't
happened yet :-))?

Thanks for any light thrown on this.

Best,

        Matej

How many Bavarian Illuminati does it take to screw in a light
bulb?
Three: one to screw it in, and one to confuse the issue.