RE: Kernel, modules and GCC format (was Kernel and modules configuration optimized for IBM ThinkPad R50e)

>> [...]
>> You all made fair statements and I am convinced to stay with Debians
>> kernel. I just installed 2.6.11-1-686 image but now I have other
>> problem. I installed sources for ipw2200 and thinkpad modules and
>> tried to install them via 'module-assistant' and for ipw2200 it went
>> fine. However, I am not able to load the module, since the format is
>> not the right one. I don't have the exact message, since I write from
>> Windows at the moment :( I have "GCC 4", while kernel might be
>> compiled with "GCC 3.3", just guessing. Should I compile kernel with
>> config, from /boot of currently installed kernel or is it something
>> else? I know this list is not primary place for such issues, but since
>> it came up from above discussion I hope anyone can help me with it.
>
>You should compile with the same version as the kernel was compiled. If
>3.3 is still on your system (should so) you can check the gcc link in
>/usr/bin. it likely will be linked to gcc-4. I usually change that (and
>others) link to the gcc i need manually since i work with distcc.
>
>I'm quite sure it will work with update-alternatives or some other
>method easier. It will be somewhere in the docs.
>
>Maybe 3.4 will work too, but i'm not sure about this.

Hmm, I installed Debian via debian-installer directly as testing. So I
assume GCC 4 came as default. Since everything will move to GCC 4 sooner
or later, should not I rather compile the kernel with GCC 4 than modules
with GCC 3.*? The last one would be easier but sooner or later I will be
in such position. Weird, that kernel-image-2.6.11 was built with GCC 3.*
and came from unstable.

Thanks, Gregor