Re: ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350) on Toshiba M30X-159

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 11:51 -0600, Luca Pireddu wrote:
> On August 16, 2005 08:23, Tobias Krais wrote:
> > Hi Stefano,
> >
> > > Tobias your configuration was illuminating. I was able to compile and
> > > install the module. One more question: Flavio suggests to disable
> > > framebuffer while you have it enabled is it correct? I wuold like to
> > > have enable boot splash enabled into my kernel but it requires the
> > > framebuffer.
> >
> > Flavio says radeonfb definitely causes problems. But I did not
> > experience problems up to now. Try the config on my homepage for the fb.
> > It sould work out. I used spalshy for boot splash. But it causes
> > problems, the colors are inverted from the point on fglrx module is
> > loaded. I did not try bootsplash. Maybe you'll give it a try.
> >
> > Greetings, Tobias
>
> My laptop also has one of these graphic processors.  I have found that when I
> have the fbcon module (for the fb console) loaded my laptop doesn't wake up
> after suspending to ram (kernel 2.6.12).  Just thought I'd share that.

Hi,

Apparently this is solvable by using vbetool to save / restore the video
card state around suspending, i.e.:

=================================
# Switch to text mode screen
chvt 1

# save vbestate
vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/VBESTATE

# Actually suspend...
echo mem >/sys/power/state

# Should now be asleep, but possibly 'echo' returns before
# it has quite happened ...
sleep 1

# restore vbestate
vbetool post
vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/VBESTATE
rm -f /tmp/VBESTATE

# Switch back to X
chvt 7

I'd be interested to know if this works - I haven't had the time to try
it out since I discovered the workaround...

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267