Re: Which wireless card for monitor-mode support in the *stock* kernel?

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:31:42PM -0400, Tim Sailer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 02:24:58PM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > To clarify what I'm looking for, I want:
>> - PCMCIA card with some common external antenna jack (like MMCX).
>> - "Out-of-the-box" monitor support. By that, I mean that I can
>> install/boot a stock Debian "kernel-image-2.6.x-686", and then type
>> "iwconfig eth1 mode monitor" and it *just works*! No downloading
>> patches, no installing firmware.
>> - If it's 802.11g, that's great... but it's not mandatory.

Cisco Aironet 350?  There seems to be a version with two MMCX connectors
(and no antenna supplied).  You want one that's 802.11b and supported by
the airo/airo_cs modules.  Not cheap, though.

> Have you just tried to use kismet with the card installed? I have
> a Netgear WG11 card, and all I had to do to get kismet to work
> was set the right stuff in the .conf file, and fire up kismet.

I believe that no standard kernel has ever included an orinoco driver that
supports monitor mode.