Re: Thin high-pitched noise on Inspiron 510m with the ACPI "processor" module

Jean-Baka Domelevo wrote:

Hello all!
I wanted to share a bit of my experiment with you : I am running a
Dell Inspiorn 510m laptop under a Debian Sarge (kernel 2.6.8). I
noticed that when I use the ACPI "processor" module, there is a
continuous thin high-pitched noise coming from the laptop, apparently
from the area under the top-left corner of the keyboard. As soon as I
unload the above module ("thermal" depends on it, so I have to unload
this first), the noise is gone.
This is quite strange, and I went through this because this noise is
extremely boring and stressful, particularly when you are using your
laptop in a quiet environment (and one of the reasons for which I have
a laptop is that I love the silence).
Any reaction would be appreciated. If anyone out there knows the
reason for that noise...

Yours,
JB.

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]

JB,

Not sure what kernel you're running but take a look at this, which looks like it may be your problem:

   http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_on_Dell_Inspiron_8200