Re: how to update packages now sarge is stable?

What I do when I desperately want a newer version from unstable of testing is to add:
deb-src ftp://ftp.egr.msu.edu/debian unstable main contrib non-free
then I download the source with apt-src, and build it locally.  Apt-src can also keep track of updates to the source.  To build a package, just cd in it and run
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
as a normal user (apt-src runs as a normal user too.)

On 7/22/05, Lee <debian_laptop@gigcast.com> wrote:
On Friday 22 July 2005 20:32, Koen Vermeer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 19:13 +0100, Lee wrote:
> > Will updates such as this continue to be added to the sarge depositories
> > or is every software update now a manual affair? What is the best way to
> > manage this process?
>
> I myself track testing, with packages from unstable if some bug is
> bothering me or when I feel adventurous... If there is a serious bug, I
> expect it to be fixed in stable, but I don't know if the firefox thing
> falls into that category.

Firefox 1.0.5 is a fairly serious security fix and 1.0.6 is a combination of
security and functional fixes.

> You could manually update firefox from the
> unstable or testing distribution (1.0.6 is in unstable now for i386). Or
> you can wait and see if a new version is backported to stable
> (www.backports.org).

thank you, I was not sure that one could "pick and mix" from
testing/unstable...

> Finally, you could consider something like Ubuntu. The reason that I'm
> suggesting this is because I think that if you weren't happy with Debian
> stable before the sarge release, then you're probably not happy with
> stable in a few months when it starts to get older and older. And if I
> understood correctly, with your Debian knowledge you'll still feel at
> home with Ubuntu.

Funnily enough I have looked at Ubuntu but I use this machine daily for work
and am loath to change anything.

Thank you for the tips.

Lee