Re: ipw2200 on gateway laptop problem

gm c wrote:

I am unable to get wireless working. I think I can get all nessary
iwconfig info entered but ifconfig eth1 up gives me no inet (ip)
address.

Recently, I was getting this kind of problem when trying to use wpa_supplicant with the ipw2200 driver.

Keep in mind that the ipw2200 driver is in fairly rapid flux. New versions are coming out every month or so (with the last two versions coming out within two days of each other). Also keep in mind that versions 1.0.4 and higher require the latest 2.3 firmware, and that versions 1.0.5 and higher require the latest ieee802 modules.

I seems like I am not receiving a signal. On my old latop
signal level is not =0 when I iwconfig. I havent the latest driver
but I would think I could get a signal. below is data:
Hmm. Not sure what to tell you other than try the latest drivers, first. It's nice of you to share your WEP key with the rest of us on the list, though. :)

eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"myessid"
         Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: 00:0D:72:D3:48:F1
         Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
         RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:1271-7235-01   Security mode:open
Lastly, notice that your channel is set to "0". I'm sure what misconfiguration this indicates in your system, but you shouldn't have 0 for a channel.

- Joe