Re: Newfish installing debian on Gatweay 4530GZ

On 18 Jul 2005, Ryan Leinweber wrote:
> I'm totally new to Linux and Debian and I would like to find out what
> all the excitement is about. I would like to install Debian on my
> gateway laptop but I need some help. My first question is:
>
> What installation manual do I need to download? I think its the one
> for i386 but I'm not sure. My notebook is running an Intel M 725 and I
> don't know what Architecture that falls under.

i386 is the right architecture.  That, or x86, refer to the entire line
of processors descended from it, including modern things like the
Pentium M.

> Is there a guide that will help even the greenest user through an
> install?

I don't know of anything better than the Debian install manual, sorry.

You will generally find the mailing lists to be pretty helpful, though,
and if you get stuck you can email and ask.

One word of caution:  running Linux on a laptop is a bit harder than
running it on a desktop, because things like suspend to ram or disk are
less than easy to get working.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
True love comes gently, without banners or flashing lights.
If you hear bells, get your ears checked.