Re: Problems booting Debian 3.1 on Acer 4100

I had the same problem on my laptop.  What you have to do is reboot off the net install cd, then let it detect your hard drive.  Then you need to mount your system just like it normally is under /mnt.  Then do "chroot /mnt" without the quotes.  Then run aptitude and remove hotplug and discover, and any libraries not needed (press SHIFT-M on the libs section of the installed part.)  and that should let you boot.  Note, do not install these tools back, they never seem to work on laptops running debian.

On 7/15/05, Dennis Stosberg <lists@stosberg.net > wrote:
Am 15.07.2005 um 12:35 schrieb Ram Kumar DANGETI:

>      Iam having a Acer Extensa 4102WLMi laptop(Intel Pentium-M 740
> 1.73GHz FSB533 2MB L2 Cache, Intel 915PM Express Chipset, 15.4" WXGA
> CrystalBrite TFT, Resulution: 1280x800, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB
> ............). I tried to install debian using
> debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso image and everything went well during
> installation. But it hangs half way while booting (just after loading
> some usb and bluetooth drivers). I could sucessfully install the same
> on my desktops with different configurations.

What are the last lines on the screen?

>      Did anyone had the same problem with similar configuration ?? Any
> insight on the correct installation parameters or procedures is highly
> appreciated.

Are you using the 2.6 or 2.4 kernel?  Make sure you try to run a 2.6
kernel on newer hardware.  You might also try the "noapic" and
"pci=biosirq" boot parameters.

If you have really recent hardware, you might have better luck
running a newer kernel than 2.6.8, which is already almost a year
old.

Regards,
Dennis