Re: Debian on Slow laptops. What setup is best?

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 13:01 +0200, Benedek Frank wrote:
> I have realized that. I blew it away already. I will set up Sonypid which can
> enable Volume controlls to speial keys, so I dont need kmix anymore. (I guess
> this is how a newbie learns).

Try installing xfce4-mixer, which, judging by the name, seems to be the
xfce-equivalent of kmix.

You could also use xdm instead of kdm. Try sylpheed instead of kmail.

Note that I don't use any of the suggested programs. I just looked for
xfce/lightweight programs that do approximately the same thing.

> How can I get rid of KDE and Gnome? apt-get uninstall kde gnome ??

I'd be a bit more cautious, because you might end up removing apps that
you still like to use, even if occasionally. You'll have to know what
packages are depending on either gnome or kde. I'm using aptitude, so
I'd start aptitude, remove gnome/kde and look what packages aptitude
wants to remove because of missing dependencies. Try to find
lightweight/XFCE alternatives for those packages, and then remove the
corresponding kde/gnome apps.

Koen