GNOME-Question

I switched from fvwm to GNOME when I installed Debian.

With fvwm I could select the Desktop of a window by giving that window a
  position that wasn't on the current desktop
(eg. Desktop size 800x600 on my subnotebook - window with position 0/630
is displayed on the desktop under the current, window with position
800/0 is placed on the desktop right of the current)

Is there any way to do the same with GNOME (except manualy send the
windows to a different desktop)?

Frank