From: Matej Cepl <cepl@surfbest.net>
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian and Atheros Wireless card
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:52:48 -0400

claytonk@163.com wrote:
> The basic process is:
> 1. unpack kernel source in /usr/src
> 2. ln -s <kernel-source-directory> linux
> 3. cd linux

I would add

3a. cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config # copy the current configuration
        3b. make oldconfig # process all changes from the current
                           # (presumably old) kernel to the new one.

> 4. make menuconfig (then choose kernel options, some of which CAN result
> in a kernel that won't boot--be careful!)
> 5. make-kpkg kernel_image   (you will find the result in /usr/src)

I would two more parameters to make-kpkg

        5. make-kpkg --revision somename.1 --rootcmd fakeroot kernel-image
(it makes distinct name of the kernel-image .deb package for the current
computer)

> 6. dpkg -i /usr/src/<name-of-new-kernel-image>
> 7. reboot

Best,

        Matej

--
Matej Cepl, http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they
fly by.
    -- Douglas Adams