Re: ifplugd, guessnet, ifscheme, netscript, whereami, ... -- what should I use?

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 08:55 -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:

> first of all -- is there FAQ somewhere?

Nope :-)

> However, I would like to get some scripts which would set exim's smartserver
> to a free SMTP server, etc. Can anybody suggest one (of course, fully
> compatible with ifupdown)?

whereami has helper scripts included, one of which will set your
smarthost, and it understands Exim, Postfix, Sendmail and Masqmail.

I confess to failing to understand what "compatible with ifupdown" means
when people ask for it.  Whereami will get your network going, but it
will use what it sees as the first appropriate available interface (most
people want wired first, then wireless, then weirder things...) and
AFAICS ifupdown doesn't play nicely with that, so the best configuration
for whereami is usually to let ifupdown handle 127.0.0.1 and let
whereami look after the rest.

> And why the h...l, maintainers of all these packages didn't set down and did
> not create one package (or at least virtual package), which would just work
> and make all additional settings (like for example setting of mail server)
> via debconf configuration? Why cannot I do
> dpkg-reconfigure ifupdown-laptop

Well I don't think that's particularly a solution either, as I don't
think it passes the "My grandmother could do that" test, since it
requires root access for one thing.

Along with Enrico, I think that the thing with the most promise is
probably Gnome Network Manager.  With it's D-BUS communication between a
root daemon and a user monitoring and configuration doohickey in the
toolbar it looks to be the right sort of architecture for the solution.
If it could be hacked on to give it some way of making some of it's
choices without user intervention then I could make whereami do the
configuration changes that it does do through a daemon-based, D-BUS
controllable interface also.  That would be good.

Last time I checked it simply wasn't going to work in Debian (wrong
Gnome version or something - I don't recall exactly) but that probably
isn't the case now.

Regards,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/            PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)803-2201      MOB: +64(272)DEBIAN      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. -- Oscar Wilde