Re: Floppy installation

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:45:24PM +0200, jean-jaques@women-at-work.org wrote:
> I have a pretty old Toshiba Sattelite laptop. It doesn't have a NIC and it
> doesn't have a cd drive either. I was wondering if it is possible to get a
> complete floppy installation of a debian system. I already have the boot
> floppy and the root floppy.
> It would probably be good if it is an older version, because the laptop has
> only 16MB Ram and the new debian installer requires 24MB.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

I have two of those, a 486 and a Pentium.

You *can* get the base system on floppies on the FTP site somewhere.
(For some reason, they don't have it on the CDs.)

But, it's a very *basic* system -- not much more than you get with
busybox on the install media, except you get to use bash instead of ash.

Also, be advised this is 20 floppies at 1.4 megs apiece, and you still
won't have a usable system -- I mean, you're stuck with 'more' as a
pager. I guess I'm spoiled. :-)