Re: Debian router/firewall?

Ognjen Bezanov wrote:

>Michael 'DayWalker' Klug wrote:
>

>>Hi dudes :)
>>
>>I know, it isn't the right place to ask, but this is the only
>>mailinglist i am on, and i think, it's the greatest :)
>>So don't hit me for this question :D
>>
>>I've got an old Intel Celeron with 600 MHz, one NIC for the DSL
>>modem and an internal 5-port hub.
>>Until now i had installed IP-Cop or Smoothwall. But i think, the
>>performence
>>isn't as good, as it should be.
>>My ping increases up to about 60 though i have fastpath.
>>
>>What i want is a slim firewall that works as a router. Further i need a
>>small
>>webserver for different documents.
>>
>>Is there anyone who can advice my a distro or someone who can tell me
>>how to get debian working as a firewall?
>>
>>I read some tutorials, but they didn't work at all :)
>>
>>Would be great, if you've got some tips :)
>>
>>Thx  - DayWalker
>>

>I have a firewall running on a 450Mhz PII , the firewall is shorewall,
>which IMO is the best firewall I have seen yet. Think the power and
>flexibility of handmade IP-table rules with much easier configuration.
>
>P.S if you want to see all the things you can run on a PII, look here:
>
>http://ogijeovde.homelinux.net/Ogi/?display=./Hardware/Server
>
>under the "runs" table (note site isnt finished yet)

Yeah, pressed enter too quickly, sorry bout that.  Setting up shorewall
is distro-agnostic (if thats a word). At the shorewall site you have
tutorials and example how-two's to help you along the way. I originally
used the "two-interface" tutorial and once it was all setup worked on
changing it too suit my needs. Which distro you use doesnt matter. I
installed shorewall on my system over a year ago, and i think i had to
compile it from source because the 'stable' branch didnt have it, but
apart from that it was quite easy to set up.

Feel free to ask me if you need any help with shorewall (ill try to be
of some use ;) )