Re: Debian router/firewall?

Michael 'DayWalker' Klug wrote:

>Hi dudes :)
>
>I know, it isn't the right place to ask, but this is the only
>mailinglist i am on, and i think, it's the greatest :)
>So don't hit me for this question :D
>
>I've got an old Intel Celeron with 600 MHz, one NIC for the DSL
>modem and an internal 5-port hub.
>Until now i had installed IP-Cop or Smoothwall. But i think, the
>performence
>isn't as good, as it should be.
>My ping increases up to about 60 though i have fastpath.
>
>What i want is a slim firewall that works as a router. Further i need a
>small
>webserver for different documents.
>
>Is there anyone who can advice my a distro or someone who can tell me
>how to get debian working as a firewall?
>
>I read some tutorials, but they didn't work at all :)
>
>Would be great, if you've got some tips :)
>
>Thx  - DayWalker

I have a firewall running on a 450Mhz PII , the firewall is shorewall,
which IMO is the best firewall I have seen yet. Think the power and
flexibility of handmade IP-table rules with much easier configuration.

P.S if you want to see all the things you can run on a PII, look here:

http://ogijeovde.homelinux.net/Ogi/?display=./Hardware/Server

under the "runs" table (note site isnt finished yet)