problem with rebooting

I have tried to install Debian Sarge on my notebook, a Toshiba Satellite P10-792 with an Intel Pentium 4 processor, which has currently Windows XP running. I installed Debian from the CD and apparently it was all ok, but as I rebooted the system I got teh following error:

Code: 0f b6 9c 36 a1 9e 83 e0 ba ff 00 00 00 d3 e2 d3 e3 0f b6 84
 Segmentation fault
<6> Journalled Block Device driver loaded
 pivot-root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 431: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Any hint?
thanks
Giancarlo