Re: Kernel 2.6 on Inspiron 6000

hi Derek,

In fact, I installed via apt-get the kernel image 2.6.8 (for i686) but I have the Kernel Panic error for this image... I changed in the grub boot loader /dev/hdax to /dev/sdax  but nothing happened. In fact, can I change from 2.4 with i386 to 2.6 with i686 or not ?  The error code is 431 with message indicating that /dev/console can't be found  ... I make MAKEDEV console but nothing changed

Pierre

Le lundi 25 avril 2005 à 10:26 -0300, Derek Broughton a écrit :
On Friday 22 April 2005 14:27, khoueiry wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> Being a fun of Debian, I want to install the sarge release comming with
> a Kernel 2.6.8... The problem is that by rebooting with expert26 or
> linux26, when i get to the partitionning task, I get the error that no
> hard drive is detected... I have an Dell Inspiron 6000 with ATA hard
> drive.. I've seen that somebody before me faced the same problem and he
> installed the 2.4 kernel instead.. In fact, I prefer to start with the
> 2.6 but above all this I want to know, if their is a method to start
> with 2.4 without installing the 2.4 before....

I can't say what exactly you need to do - I've only put ubuntu on this I6000,
which got everything right by default - but the hard drive is SATA and
recognized as a SCSI.  So the drive identifier is /dev/sda
--
derek