Kernel 2.6 on Inspiron 6000

Hello everybody,

Being a fun of Debian, I want to install the sarge release comming with a Kernel 2.6.8... The problem is that by rebooting with expert26 or linux26, when i get to the partitionning task, I get the error that no hard drive is detected... I have an Dell Inspiron 6000 with ATA hard drive.. I've seen that somebody before me faced the same problem and he installed the 2.4 kernel instead.. In fact, I prefer to start with the 2.6 but above all this I want to know, if their is a method to start with 2.4 without installing the 2.4 before....

Any Any help will be much appreciated .... Thanx a lot