Re: Install Debian No CDROM, USB Floppy and Wireless Card

* Benedek Frank:

> I just got an old Toshiba Libretto L1 from Japan, that has no CDrom, nor LAN.
> I have a Netgear 401 card that works fine with Debian, at least when I do a
> CD install with Sarge, from the 110MB install CD, it detects my Card as
> Orinoco just fine and I can do a Network install.
>
> Now, I am asking if I can do the same booting from the Debian floppies?

Are you still talking about sarge or the old woody installer (which is
called boot-floppies)?

In the latter case: no, wireless is not supported during a woody
installation. In the former case: yes, hardware support is the same for
all installation images (cdrom, floppy or hd-media).

> I do not have a USB CDrom, just a USB Floppy. Is it possible anyway to
> boot from a USB floppy?

That depends on your mainboard/BIOS.

> Basically my question is that will the few debian install floppies allow my
> system to recognize an orinoco chipset wireless card, and allow me to install
> from the NET thereafter?

If you are using the images for sarge and your board is able to boot
from USB devices, then the answer is yes.

J.
--
In idle moments I remember former lovers with sentimental tenderness.
[Agree]   [Disagree]