Re: Kernel 2.6.xx

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 06:56:08AM +0300, Crash Override wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 April 2005 06:15, Ryan Heise wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this would work because my laptop causes the debian
> > installer to freeze during pcmcia detection.
> >
> > Ryan
>
> At boot time, try:
> kernel26 pci=bios,biosirq acpi=off

I have now successfully installed debian using these boot parameters. I
noticed that grub is now configured to boot my system with these same
boot parameters. Does that mean that whatever boot parameters I boot the
installer with will automatically be used to configure grub to boot my
new system?

What if I alternatively used:

    hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false

would grub be configured differently? I tried booting my installed
system with this parameter, but my system still froze during pcmcia
detection, which makes me think this paramter only works for the
installer. In that case, the installer may configure grub to boot the
kernel with invalid parameters. Is that the case?

Also, why do your suggested kernel parameters work? Disabling acpi makes
pcmcia work? What about pci=bios,biosirq?

By trial and error, I found that exclude port 0x800-0x8ff solves the
pcmcia problem, and so I have configured grub to boot with:

    pci=bios,biosirq acpi=on apm=off

And now acpi works fine (except that the laptop doesn't power down after
a shutdown - how can I fix that?). I'm just wondering what
pci=bios,biosirq do.

Thanks,

Ryan