Re: IBM T42 - Sarge or Sid?

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 23:53 -0500, Ryan Nowakowski wrote:
> > > I am hoping to get some opinions on this. I will building Debian on a
> > > Thinkpad T42 for my lovely bride this weekend. I'm currently undecided
> > > whether to put Sarge or Sid on it. On my machine I run Sid since I'm a
> > > wannabe developer and will file bug reports when necessary. However, on her
> > > machine it would probably be better to have a more (soon to be!) stable
> > > system.
> > >
> > > So my question is, would it be better to install Sarge and back port things
> > > as necessary or let a Debian newbie run Sid?

Sarge with backports, or maybe Ubuntu.  The latest release, Hoary, is
excellent.

As someone whose main desktop used to run Sid with daily updates, the
frustration it caused my wife was quite impressive as there was always
something broken.

Personally I'm now dual booting my new laptop and my desktop between
Hoary and Sid.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com