Re: [Wireless] Am I going to be sorry?

On Apr 12, 2005 8:41 PM, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> My question is: how likely is it that I'm going to regret not having
> 802.11a support?
> I'm living in the Netherlands.

You won't need it at all... only place .a is usefull for in europe is
very busy conventions with 500+ geeks using wireless... the .a network
usually still works after the .b and .g fail miserably under load
(since no-one has .a).

Just make sure you really get an Atheros based card... manufacturors
have a tendency to switch regularly.

Another safe bet is RaLink based cards (sitecom, sweex), can be gotten
for 30 euro's at most stores and contain a clearly markt Chip with
'Ra' on it.

There's a fully GPL'd driver for these on sourceforge. They don't do
master mode yet, but otherwise work just fine.

(As someone with a Prism54 minipci, atheros cardbus, orinoco cardbus,
broadcom minipci and ralink pci card I know my wireless chipsets)

But I still consider Prism54 and Atheros best... just harder to get...

--
Mark Janssen  --  maniac(at)maniac.nl  --  pgp: 0x357D2178 |   ,''`.  |
Unix / Linux Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl |  : :' :  |