Re: changing res to 1280x800?

Jason Wang wrote:
hi, i have installed knoppix on to my hard drive, since debian
installer i find too cryptic for a linux newbie.. i'm trying to setup
a 1280x800 resolution (my laptop native, which is a Emachines M5410)..
i'm using a SiS M760 Ultra 256 if that helps.. can someone point me to
the right directions? i have already done extensive search online, and
all points me to editing the XF86Config-4 file.. however, with adding
to ModeLines and into Screen->Display section yield no result, i
thought i'd ask here if some debian users have any similer problems
and how they solve it.. thanks alot

this is an extract from my XF86config file
section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1400x1050" "1024x768" "800x600"
is this last line where you added the screen size?

also check your log to see if anything appears there
(/var/log/XFree86.0.log)

this of course assumes that you are actually using XF86 for your xserver...

Ben