changing res to 1280x800?

hi, i have installed knoppix on to my hard drive, since debian
installer i find too cryptic for a linux newbie.. i'm trying to setup
a 1280x800 resolution (my laptop native, which is a Emachines M5410)..
i'm using a SiS M760 Ultra 256 if that helps.. can someone point me to
the right directions? i have already done extensive search online, and
all points me to editing the XF86Config-4 file.. however, with adding
to ModeLines and into Screen->Display section yield no result, i
thought i'd ask here if some debian users have any similer problems
and how they solve it.. thanks alot
--
www.programer.name - my own personal blog : )