Re: [OT] Looking for advice on buying a new laptop

On 03/14/2005 04:39 AM, Hugo Santiago Carrer wrote:
Hi list:

So, basically I'm about to buy a used Thinkpad T23 from IBM. I really
like the little thing, I have used one before and liked the feeling.
But the questions are,
Are the Thinkpads really worth the extra buck or is it just the
brandname? Are they really that linux/debian friendly or they are just
like any other laptops?

Thank you guys/gals

Hi-

I've used a thinkpad t23 with debian unstable for awhile now. The newer kernels do acpi really well these days and you can get a lot of functionality like different suspend modes (suspend to ram; disk). You can also get lid suspend events working easily. I bought a T23 from overstock for around 750.00 and installed debian on it.

You may want to updatea the bios and embedded controler software since I've found that that these often contribute to poor acpi performance if not ugpraded. Secondly, there has been a lot of discussion of late on acpi on the T23 on the linux-thinkpad mailing list so its worthwhile to subscribe there.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org